MSNBC, “Melissa Harris-Perry,” a weekend news and politics show
Segment producer, May 2013 – present
- Pitch, research, write and produce segments for a live panel show.
Law360, an online subscription-based news service read by top corporate lawyers
Senior reporter for health care policy, Jan. 2012 to May 2013
General assignment reporter, May 2011 to Jan. 2012
- Pitched and wrote news and feature pieces on government policy, regulation and politics affecting the health care and pharmaceutical industries. Stories include how the Supreme Court’s health care ruling will affect safety-net hospitals; how a patent ruling could affect the development of biosimilars; and why many pharmacies are ignoring certain DEA policies.
Talking Points Memo, a Polk Award-winning national politics and news website
Reporter for the site’s investigative section, June 2010 to Feb. 2011
Newswriter, July 2009 to June 2010
Intern, Aug. 2008 to Nov. 2008
- Reported investigative pieces. Scoops include a White House order to block federal employees from the Wikileaks site, and the EPA vastly underestimating the effects of a major Gulf oil spill.
- Wrote longer-form explanatory pieces that gave greater context to events in the news, such as the “Ground Zero mosque” backlash.
- Covered breaking news at a breakneck pace and ran comprehensive, up-to-the-minute live blogs for major events like the passage of the Affordable Care Act.
- Edited video, created slideshows and contributed to TPM’s social media presence.
MainStreet.com, the personal finance section of TheStreet.com
Production editor, Dec. 2008 to June 2009
- Managed the front page and section pages, copy edited all stories and wrote headlines.
New Haven Advocate, an alternative weekly paper in New Haven, Conn.
Reporter, April 2008 to Aug. 2008
- Wrote enterprising news and feature stories, including a long-form piece about the former governor’s $100,000-a-year job for the City of Waterbury after he was released from prison.
Northeastern University School of Journalism, Boston, Mass.
- Graduated summa cum laude in May 2007.
- Interned as a reporter at The Patriot Ledger, a suburban daily outside of Boston, and at the Republican-American, a daily in Waterbury, Conn., and was hired part-time after the internships.
- Wrote op-ed and travel columns for the Northeastern News.
- Honored with the Parsons Award for professional promise and soundness of character, and named to the Kappa Tau Alpha honor society for journalism.
Multimedia: Photoshop, Final Cut video editing software, Snapstream recording system.
Web: Social media including Facebook and Twitter, various content management systems, HTML.
Reporting tools: PACER, Thomas, the Federal Register, FOIA requests.